4/20/10

The Names

Jesus in the Koran.  Antique Assemblage Neckpiece.Jesus in the Koran.  Antique Assemblage Neckpiece.Jesus in the Koran.  Antique Assemblage Neckpiece.
I had a lot of trouble coming up with a name and description for this new necklace.

See, I found an old etching that had the beautifully evocative name of "Building the Temple of Warka in the Time of Urukh."
  
So I looked it up.  I found an old book, tried pull out only the most interesting parts, but it got stranger and more complicated the more I read.  Trying for a simple paragraph I ended up w/this disjointed mess:

"Uruk was an ancient city of Sumer and later Babylonia, now Iraq.Uruk is eponymous of the Uruk period, the protohistoric Chalcolithic to Early Bronze Age period in the history of Mesopotamia spanning ca. 4000 to 3100 BC.  One of its earliest known rulers lived after a great flood had destroyed the land and much of its cultures.    Said to be a descendant of Hisuthrus,  known in the bible as Noah,  the first post-flood king is Bel-Nimrod, the great hunter. "
It was too all-over-the-place and finally I had to give it up for something simpler.  Nimrod, however, turns out to have been a descendant of the figure in Arab history on which the story of Noah is based.  And Iraq seems to have been a great, cosmopolitan state since pre-historic times. Wow.



No comments: