7/4/13

Snap out of it!

Thanks all for putting up with my bout of self-indulgent pouting.
I sorta blame the modernists. The 1900s were chock full of painters going, "Why does art have to be attractive/beautiful/aesthetically appealing?" Meaning in other words it shouldn't be pretty, that's shallow and not serious enough. "What is art, why does it have to be this or that?"  "Why can't it be a urinal that questions what art is?"

In fact this whole century of modernism put a whole new pressure on art to be something more than what it always had been- the thoughtful crafting of  beautiful objects. Now there has to be an aura of the "something" more/else and everything has to be a unique (even in a world of 7 billion people) declaration about itself.
 Really, it's just me putting that on myself. Why does awe and admiration of anothers' artistry have to result in dissatisfaction with our own?

But thanks guys. And hello to new commenters whose names I hadn't seen before. I love to think there's some reader out there engaged in my makies who I don't even know about.  Makes me feel all interesting. And really, it may just be slung together bits, but I engage my deepest thoughts about existence in it more often than not somehow. Even if its just that sparkly lights make me think of night skies makes me think of my/our place in the infinite flow... And old stuff makes me think of time and eternity and shit.... Me talk good.

And yes, pink. Gotta problem with that?

Blogger's not letting me post without a title which is amusing. Imna just start copying people's funny tweets for titles. In honor of the 4th of July:

@TheNardvark
I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve blown four of my fingers off with illegal fireworks.

Now I can't stop reading funny tweets.

@bazecraze
It's so humid today I keep expecting a southern lawyer to do his closing argument.
@brendohare
The human body is 70% water and 30% land

My Mexican waiter put my food down in front of another white lady who looked nothing like me. I get it now.           Oh wait that's not my waiter.
(Little map beads are in all these stacks, though it's hard to spot any details among the clutter. Thanks for those, Claudia!)

(via theclearlydope:dpaf:video:via)First some funny tweets, then some redonk gifs and no one will be able to look away!
Ok, Ok, I'll stop. Back to bidness.
This is a different stack than the previous. Don't know if you can tell. 
 Wait no but really. Look at this pink side of ham.

So by the way, since I'm always oxidizing or handing oxidized stuff, I'm always washing my hands and they're very dry. I discovered coconut oil and can't stop slathering the stuff all over myself. So healing and wonderful! 101 Uses for Coconut Oil to support hair skin and health 101 Uses for Coconut OilHere's 101 uses for it. It'll even help with taxes and take out the trash!* And it's inexpensive.
Thought I'd pass along the tip.


*This claim has not been substantiated by the FDA, the NRA or the BBC.

7 comments:

Juliette said...

Bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa I love those gifs. They cheered me up today, it's been a hellishly hot day again.

Oh, about urinals and art? At the Exploratorium in SF there is an experiment with a urinal - shaped water fountain. I didn't drink out of it, but I wasn't thirsty. xo J

Unknown said...

Ok so this is seriously my new favorite blog. Sass and randomness and eye candy. Eff yeah. Bought your bangle pdf like ehhhh a month ago? and I've read it like six times, put it on my iPad Kindle app, now I'm stalking your blog. Cuz it's kinda rocking my world lately... I had a jewelry biz eons ago (in Internet time, anyhow... like five-six years back?) and got reeeeeally burned out. I'm slowly getting back at it though. Idk, I'm babbling I just... I really dig you. And your badass art. Which can be pink and not-a-urinal if that's what you're feeling today. Silly existential modernists.

Maggie Zee said...

Oh, I don't know about the Modernists - what if what they did was free our minds up a bit to see art everywhere and recognize the artists in our own selves? Or was it the Dadaists that did that? Anyways, the cure for self doubt is simply to make more fabulous stuff. Which you do.

Do you sleep???

Jiorji said...

CAT TOES!!! i love that stretching kitty. i love all kitties. I need more cats. single crazy cat lady. animal fur in morning coffee adds a little spice wouldnt you agree??

i need to come back in the morning and make a very educated blog comment.

Unknown said...

ooooo, love me some new stuff. You do cool things with pink. I think everyone has an artist in them but not all of them know what their medium might be...

Beatnheart said...

who's da freak with the raccoon.

RaggedRobyn said...

Loving the pink with rustic odds and ends. The raccoon is defo weird...only in the USA right?