7/2/13

"Artist"

Just for the sake of novelty, one of these years I'd like to experience the problem of having too much light in a photo.
The following is what happens when you shoot  in the darkness of another stormy Chicago day and try to fake it with Photoshop.
 So yeah I put this honkin' faux-mercury-glass piece in a necklace for Patroness since I realized she had all these combining elements in beads large enough to compete with the honkin' triangle.
 Although it seems wrong to use these particular white hearts as just any beads. Look at them all ancient and crackled. They should be alone on plain cord so as not to distract from their majesty or something. Believe me when there's light and you can actually see the details, there's majesty. Majesty a-plenty. (That's my new band name.)
 Threw together these babies to combine with the above, with Patroness's (Patroness'?) own greybird and Happyfallout bits. Look how well they combine! Without overpowering. Simple.
 In the spirit of throwing together, made two more pairs without overthinking. Just cuz I had bits around and I was around and round and around....
I like these for their fat stacky-ness. Also the asymmetry. Also the fact that they came together just like that. A thing to ponder: the better (also more expensive) your supplies, the less you really need to do to make them look good. Your job becomes not fucking them up, which is a whole 'nuther can o' worms. But so at what point are you just an assembler? Sometimes I feel like an assembler. I guess my arting comes in when I gather the bits... But sometimes I see all this fine art jewelry in people's pinterests and fuck I feel like a grubby little fuckwit. Like I should be putting way more time into each piece. Though in honesty I like my outcomes, so why do I feel this way? Like I should be more of an artist. Yeah, that's it- like I should be more of an artist. How silly is that? I need to go back to Uruguay for more theengs. At least then I feel original for using stuff you can't just order off etsy.
Look at this picture:
A Single Photograph by Bela Borsodi Looks Like Four Separate Images optical illusion
It's not four pictures but actually just one, see:
A Single Photograph by Bela Borsodi Looks Like Four Separate Images optical illusion
There's even a video of how the artist put it together bit by bit.
See? That's innovative, that's art! No? How about this guy pouring salt:
Floating Garden: A New Poured Salt Installation by Motoi Yamamoto at Mint Museum Uptown salt installation
Floating Garden: A New Poured Salt Installation by Motoi Yamamoto at Mint Museum Uptown salt installation
Floating Garden: A New Poured Salt Installation by Motoi Yamamoto at Mint Museum Uptown salt installation
Both found via.
And now don't we all want to dwell on what loosers we are and how we've done nothing with our lives? I do:

This is why they tell you never to compare yourself to anyone. Damn you, Motoi Yamamoto and your adorably humble, self-effacing smile. And damn you pinterest. 

8 comments:

dawn said...

Girl... love your blog and your work....thanks for just being funny and spunky and posting so much way cool stuff....

3 Little Kittens Studio said...

such wonderful and humbling inspiration for the day! the new necklaces is WOW - majestic magic!!! love all the earrings too!!! thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

The salt thing is really cool - who'd of thunk it! And when things go easier don't spit on goddess of artistic assembly...LOL. I think you're right, great components can really help but nothing can replace a gifted mind that can see how the puzzle fits together! The faux mercury necklace is stunning and the earrings ain't shabby either!

Beatnheart said...

i feel and understand your pain but come on...really
i compare myself to thee...and feel small and worthless but then again sometimes i feel pretty friggin brillant..

StaroftheEast said...

Who says that assembling is no art?
All art is mostly assembly!
Cool stuff.

Maggie Zee said...

Awesome assembly is an art in itself - and anyway - the art is in the vision, which you have in abundance. Most of us assemblers have more in common with outsider art than with fine art. It takes alot more creativity to come up with something fabulous out of bits and pieces than to silversmith something beautiful. At least, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Wildthorne said...

I think your photos look great! What is it with everyone being so hard on themselves lately? There are no comparisons (that salt video was beautiful and so inspiring), you ARE AN ARTIST. Your work is beautiful and creative and as the talented ladies above me said, assembly is art, and can be phenomenal art. All of you are successful testaments to this. Your work speaks to multitudes, that is why it is so popular. I am one who pins amazing things on pinterest from artists who fabricate, and the visuals themselves, the forms, shapes, and connections fuel my own artistic work. I know you get the same, where you will reassess a connection, color palette, or construction of materials when gazing at what others have created, and it is OK. No need for guilt, or feelings of inadequacy. You should walk proud in tall boots, you are Marina... a kick arse composer of beauty!

Rebecca S. said...

Jewelry is the most intimate art there is…conveying so much meaning; nothing else signifies such personal connection. It tells stories and relates to history and cultural and family traditions. We wear it on our bodies and pass it down to our daughters/children/relatives. Nothing else in the way of art is so personal and accessible....It doesn’t get more important than that....