8/11/10

Whutup?



Did some soldering last couple days. (These pictures were taken w/the oxidizing patina still wet, so everything looks blotchy.)  My new studio has big windows, so I just set up my soldering stuff, opened the window and aimed a fan at myself. I actually breathed in less fumes than I used to outside! I'm so super stoked about soldering inside that I just soldered everything in sight.  No more waiting for a nice day, or having to stop at night, or swatting at insects w/my soldering iron.    

Here you see a chandelier crystal, as well as a quartz crystal. Also, I soldered a holda-ma-jiggie for the antique whistle I got.  Here's the back:










This is the back of the quartz. I had to cut my copper tape into thirds, tape the edges and solder them.  It was kind of a pain.
Here's a bunch of crusty amethysts I got from Sparrow, and 2 citrines from Uruguay, having no plan on how to connect them, as they were undrilled.

I did some mini collages. Here's a close-up:Starring a dude from the same old book I got my avatar and banner images.
Here's the backs, all from the same Japanese WWII currency bill covered in mica. Fun, yesno?
And the latest extreme oxidizing batch. Before it got stirred up, you could see down into the keys covered in fuzzy rust, as well as this weird skin over the surface of the whole thing. Gross.

6 comments:

stregata said...

Love the way you laced up the chandelier crystal!

romantic decay said...

The japanese currency - VERY COOL. Your soldering and the graphics look great together.

Penelope said...

OH Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd (that's GOD not good, but that applies too). I need to solder, I'm doing it tomorrow- I have to, I've got crystals and shit all taped up ready to go, I need to get it done so I can be as cool as you!

I'm seriously having a crisis over these bits. The back of the whistle is almost like an Ankh. I think I'm in love with that dude.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've been busy! I can't wait to see all this stuff made into jewelry.

TesoriTrovati said...

Totally loving all these solder projects. What do you use for the patina? I recall that I have some but never actually used it. Do you ever keep them shiny and silver? I am very intrigued by what you have done and it inspires me to jump into my soldering projects again.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

steufel said...

I may sound like a broken rekord - but I really admire your style - every single piece.